12 Sep 10 Reasons Why We Need Math
So often as parents, you tell your children to study because they would rather be doing anything else. Here are 10 reasons why they should study to be able to use their MATH skills:
- Math helps you figure out if you have enough money to buy the newest (insert toy, game, or electronic device of choice). Remember they must add tax at xx% of the cost.
- Math helps you figure out how to use a recipe for cooking or baking, whether you need to double or halve a recipe to serve more or less people for which the recipe was created.
- How far it is to the after-school sports field and calculating how long it will take to arrive there is a regular reason to use math.
- Learning to play an instrument and playing music requires the use of math to keep the appropriate beat and rhythm when playing with other people in a band or orchestra.
- Math helps you calculate tips on restaurant meals and/or whether you have been accurately charged for your meal.
- Math helps you calculate the amount of raise you will receive if a 5% increase is associated with your “Excellent” review.
- Knowing basic math principles keeps you from having to carry around a calculator because good use of math allows you to do many calculations in your head. Check out our Mind Math Junior program here.
- Building a tree-house, doll-house, dog-house or family house requires the use of geometry and trigonometry related to the accurate use of square footage and angles to roofs.
- When it is time to buy their first car, math will be important to calculate the amount they may pay to “borrow” the money through a loan.
- Being able to “do” math, or doing math very well is the difference between what type of job you will be able to secure when you are out of school. We will discuss those jobs in a future article.
What other reasons can you add?