17 Nov Why is Abacus learning important for children?
While it’s easy for a small percentage of lucky children, most children find numbers and math very difficult! Abacus learning is one of the best ways to improve arithmetic skills and number fluency. Abacus math also helps develop an interest and passion in math for many students as their confidence and understanding grows from an early age. After all, most students prefer the subjects they perform well in!
Introduced in China, Abacus learning has made it easy to calculate basic arithmetic operations like subtraction, addition, division, and multiplication. It’s an enhancement tool for mental operations as it helps in learning math operations from the very basic to the quite complex.
How does Abacus learning help the students?
Counting numbers with fingers and hands was the method used before the application of sticks and stones. Later beads – ‘The abacus’ – was invented and it is the most creative way to count numbers easily and quickly. Many countries across the world used the abacus to teach basic calculations. As an advanced form of learning math, many schools, especially in Asia, use abacus in both primary and secondary classes. It’s been proven as one of the most effective methods for young learners to do mental math.
Abacus learning not only helps with the basic calculations like addition, multiplication, subtraction, and division, it also helps in effective counting of decimal points, negative numbers, etc.
Importance of Abacus training
When students learn to use an abacus, they use their hands and a tool with beads to calculate numbers. It is believed that the movement using fingers gives them an opportunity to activate the brain sensors. The activity in the right hand helps them to coordinate and the left side of the brain and vice versa. This brings several benefits to the brain.
Here are some of the key benefits of abacus learning.
• With Abacus, calculation skills are boosted, and students can complete calculations faster and more accurately
• Abacus promotes a stress-free way of learning math concepts which build confidence
• It enhances problem-solving abilities
• Abacus learning not only focuses on getting the correct answer but also helps with logical reasoning
• Abacus programs not only teach math but also help in improving concentration levels
• It boosts self-confidence and self-esteem
• It strengthens mental skills like visualization and memory
• It helps with improvised writing and reading by promoting memory and creativity
Are you ready to help your children with Abacus?